Monday, February 14, 2005

Three's Company!!!

'Three' is a number that's been haunting me for a long time now..

Mangalore, India


It all began, close to 15 years back, I was in my 4th grade and was vacationing at my aunt's place in Mangalore. M'lore's a beautiful place, great beaches, amazing weather and the works...and as brilliantly portrayed by every bollywood movie ever made, thats where I first fell in love....Ok!!As a 4th Grader, I guess I didnt know much about love then,(not that I know now), and for that matter, I didnt know what to fall in love with. But I just knew, I couldnt go without this amazing creation for even a day!!. My First Love....Ideal IceCreams...the best IceCreams I've ever had till date!!. Now, getting back to the main thread 'three';My Aunt and my Cousin were getting ready to go out, and submit my cousin's application to one of the school's there!!.And I smelt my chance to tag along and get some much needed 'milkshake with Icecream', and so I very innocently asked my aunt if I could come along too. My Aunt was horrified at the thought of the 'three' of us going out together. And she said,

"Dear, We're going out on some important work, and its considered bad luck to go in three's"....

All that ran through my ignorant mind then was ,how some dumb number could deprive me of some much need ice cream...

.................'Three' didnt strike for another ten years..................
BITS, Pilani, India

Another beautiful night in Pilani, (and this time around I was in love with an intoxicating liquid), me and my friends were returning from c'not, when we were stopped by this 'supposed' ex-Bitsian. He was drunk, and claimed to have passed out from BITS a few decades back, and that he was living a comfortable life in the US. We humoured him for a while, and were just about to leave when all of a sudden,

"Hey Guys, You all remind me of the times I had in Pilani, tell you what, I'll give you three hundred rupees, drink to my good health"....

he gave us the money and two packs of ciagrettes to go with it, and left. Boy!Were we thrilled...Hail!!Drunk Ex-Bitsians!!..We had THREE HUNDRED bucks, and that was BIG MONEY in Pilani!!. We quickly worked out a plan, 4 of them went to ANC(Oh!How I miss the All Night Canteen) to get the goodies, 2 to the Bhavan to set things up for the party, and the lucky THREE were sent to get the main course. It was close to 11.30 PM, but then we'd done the 'walk' a zillion times to let time bother us, and besides this was a godsent gift.

The THREE - S~, K~ and B~ (Relative anonymity ofcourse!!).

Just as we were leaving the campus,

B~ : "You know what, they say when Three Brahmachari's go together, bad things are bound to happen"....
S~ : "Oh No!!Not that number again, its already cost me a lot (I was still sore about that lost MilKShake), it isnt stopping us now, stop this Mumbo-Jumbo, and think rationally.
K~ : "Yeah, c'mon B~ dont tell me you beleive that"
B~ : "Well, Ok, if you guys insist"

To cut a long story short, On our way back, we were mugged by some god damned locals,forced to exchange the 'stuff' for safe passage, and walked the 'long' walk'(It was always longer on the way back) back emptyhanded and cursing B~ for bringing up 'Three'!!!.


Three - STRIKE ONE


And since then we've been quite wary of 'Three'. Infact, recently, B~ had an interview, and I was to drop him. But as would have been, another friend of us also wanted a ride. But B~ and me didn't want 'Three' along this time, and dragged another
'Non-Beleiver' along.

B~ got through the interview!!!!


.................And last night.................................................

Holiday Valley, NY


After THREE hours of skiing, we were relaxing at the warming hut. And I noticed this gang of four snowboarders. One of them lit up A match, and lighted the cigarettes of two others. And finally, he was about to light his cigarettes with the same match stick, when the fouth guy said

"Dude, don't use the same stick, lighting three smokes in one stick will bring bad luck".

And bang came the reply
"Oh S*** you!!", and he calmly lit up his cigarette with the same matchsick.

Now, I knew 'Three' had quite a reputation back in India, but here, Nah!!It couldn't possibly hold, but I sure was surprised to hear 'Three' being mentioned. After all , we were in America, and I'd just finished a wonderful 'Three Stooges' roadtrip.Soon, We left the hut, and hit one of the tougher trails. I was almost down the trail, and skidded to a halt, to take a break, when I saw the 'Matchstick Dude' fly past me. He was taking a sharp turn, when his snowboard hit a bump, and he flew off the trail in to the bushes!!...Ouch!!That was the worst fall I'd ever seen. Before we could go over and see if he was alright, the Ski Patrol and his friends reached him, and helped him out. The guy was badly bruised and had also twisted his ankle.

When I passed the group, I heard his friend say..'I told you, it'd bring bad luck'....and bang came the reply again '...S*** You'....

Three - STRIKE TWO

'Three' was back......

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Incidentally one of the THREE wrote his GRE on Friday the 13th and made a score of 2340.

12:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

< ? indian bloggers # >