Saturday, February 19, 2005

Of Lost treasures!!

Till a few years back I used to get a lot of Cards/Letters, but things have changed now. The Cards and mails have been prefixed with an 'E-' ,and nobody asks where I live, anymore!!.

Infact, there was this one year,I didnt receive many B'day cards. And one E-mail-less day, this troublemaking realization actually came to me out of this room in my head that is the source of useless information.Well,I guess I just needed a reason to feel bad, and there it was. But I was ok with it. I can take it, I'm tough!!. No, I wont complain when my 'cheap' friends dont even care enough to send me a stupid birthday card. I can do without them, Right!!!.

A couple of months later, I was home visiting my parents, and I was cleaning out my room, when I found this box full of cards/letters from the yesteryears.I got the box out,and with a 'heavy' heart and a puzzled frame of mind, I began to read the cards and letters. And who else but Floyd could help in such situations, so I queued them up and cranked up the volume.

Here it all was. The candles, cakes, money, wisecracks, jokes, ure old enough to.., miss you's, and the Untellable. Heavy messages about love and joy and peace and goodwill. If that wasnt enough, there were those handwritten messages of affection from my 'cheap' friends. Seldom have I felt so bad and good at the same time. So wonderfully rotten, elegantly sad, and nostalgic and all. Utter Bathos!!.

And as fate would have it, I was discovered in this condition by my friend, who'd come to see me. She laughed. I showed her the 'find', and there we were, swept away by this outrageous outbreak of nostalgia, singing along with Floyd,

"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time
Plans that either come to naught or half a page of scribbled lines
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the english way
The time is gone, the song is over, thought I’d something more to say
"

Well, what can I say?. I guess wonder and awe and joy are all always there in the attic of one's mind somewhere, and it doesnt take a lot to set it off. But yes, I sure do miss getting cards and 'handwritten' letters!!.

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

but you aren't worth of that 36 cents postage..

2:13 AM  
Blogger ledsuki said...

@Piggy - Yeah I know!!. They should Fed-Ex :)..

2:22 AM  
Blogger Primalsoup said...

So, when was the last time you sent a card to one of your friends? :)

7:55 PM  
Blogger ledsuki said...

@Soup - Guilty as charged :)..

11:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

< ? indian bloggers # >